No matter how people look at graffiti, unwarranted murals are Vandalism that can ruin the outlook of your space. If you are facing the same problem, don’t panic. It is not unrepairable damage, and there are many ways to remove it. We have listed some of the best ways to clear graffiti from different surfaces. Choose the ones that suit you.
We highly suggest using a professional graffiti removal service to clear away graffiti without damaging your property.
- Brick requires gentle care because of porous surface. Graffiti cleaning gel is the ideal solution for brick walls. Apply the gel to the graffiti with a brush, wait half an hour, and then rinse under high pressure. If the paint is old, it will take longer to dissolve.
- 3000 psi power wash is another good option. Just be sure to use a wide nozzle to prevent damaging the surface.
- If you have stubborn graffiti, sandblasting might be the best solution. Just like power washing a graffiti, use a wide nozzle to prevent damaging the surface.
- If nothing works, cover the area with a fresh layer of paint.
- Coated and sealed wooden surfaces are much easier to clean than untreated surfaces. If your wood is coated with a sealant, a good spirit might be able to remove the paint. Apply it on the surface with the help of a clean rag, rub the paint and wipe with a clean cloth.
- If your wood is untreated or weathered, you might have to low pressure wash it. A stripping liquid is used before pressure-wash to avoid the paint seeping deep into the wood.
- If nothing works, sand the surface lightly and repaint.
Just like wood, removing graffiti from the painted and unpainted surface of a metal is different.
- For fresh graffiti, gently scrub the surface with a strong detergent or use a specialized product. After scrubbing, rinse under high pressure or wipe with a clean cloth.
- Paint thinners like mineral spirits and lacquer thinner can remove paint from unpainted surfaces. We highly recommend not using these on painted surfaces.
- Water-displacing spray (like WD-40 and similar) can be used to remove graffiti from painted surfaces.
- Pressure washing is another excellent choice for metal surfaces.
- If you don’t have to worry about damaging the surface, wire wool or sandpaper may remove the paint.
- If nothing works, a fresh layer of paint is your best option.
- Glass is probably the easiest surface to clean. You can easily shave off the paint using a razor blade or glass scraper. The method is different from all the other materials because glass is smooth. For a better result, spray a little bit of windscreen cleaning fluid on the surface before scraping.
- Glass is also resistant to harsh chemicals such as mineral spirits, lacquer, and paint thinners, so you can use them to clean the paint.
- It is strongly recommended not to use harsh spirits and other chemicals. It softens the plastic surface and may leave visible damage on it. If you have to use harsh chemicals, make sure to apply them to a small area and check their effect on the plastic before using them as a whole.
- Plastic needs gentle handling; sometimes even vegetable oil could be enough to clear the graffiti. Apply the oil generously, leave for fifteen minutes and remove with the help of a clean cloth.
- Again, if some minor marks are not a problem, scrubbing with sandpaper is another good option.
- Using specialized detergent and power washing are always an option.
As you can see, each surface has its own set of techniques to clear the same type of paint. This is why it’s best to consult a professional service before attempting a DIY or any other graffiti removal methods to avoid property damage.